Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thick As Thieves (a.k.a. The Code) (2009)



Director: Mimi Leder
Starring: Antonio Banderas, Morgan Freeman, Radha Mitchell, Robert Forster, Rade Serbedzija

SYNOPSIS

A master art thief recruits a younger man to help him steal a rare set of Fabergé eggs from a highly secure building. However, his stepdaughter's romance with the man, his debts to the Russian mafia and an obsessed cop on his trail all threaten to derail his plans.

REVIEW

Well, file this one under "meh" for me, again... It's not a bad little thriller, the cast is great and the plot manages to pile on some decent twists toward the end, some of which were genuinely surprising. but, the movie as a whole just didn't really grab me as much as I'd hoped.

Maybe, it's just the weight of the clichés that put me off - I mean, how many movies are there now about master thieves and their proteges? Maybe it's just that Leder's direction doesn't grab me? Her two best-known movies (Deep impact and The Peacemaker) failed to grab me either, and she seems to have spent most of the intervening years producing and/or doing TV work.

That said, Freeman and Banderas are as likeable as ever, while the supporting cast do their job well (it's always nice to see Forster in a decent role). Worth your time, but definitely nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment