Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Damned United (2009)



Director: Tom Hooper
Starring: Michael Sheen, Colm Meaney, Timothy Spall, Jimmy Reddington, Henry Goodman

Based on the novel by David Peace.

SYNOPSIS

The story of Brian Clough's disastrous 44 day reign as manager of Leeds United in 1974.

REVIEW

This is an unusual movie for me, as I really, really don't like football. I'm not particularly keen on most sports, but growing up in the UK it's hard to avoid football in particular and it can be annoying. I don't care about the game and although my interest can be piqued somewhat by the World Cup, even then I only care about the result and not the tactics or behind-the-scenes action.

However, I'm not so prejudiced that I can't recognise good drama and filmmaking and this is a film that proves it. Flashing back and forth between Clough's early days at Derby Country and his resulting rivalry with Leeds United manager Don Revie. The motivations and dynamics of the characters are laid out very clear, and you don't have to like football to get Clough's drive to beat Revie's results at Leeds or his relationship with management partner Peter Taylor.

As ever with what is essentially a small-scale drama, the performances are what counts and this has some great ones. Michael Sheen is great as ever and gives a great imitation of Clough's mannerisms, and he's ably backed up by the likes of Timothy Spall, Colm Meaney and Jim Broadbent. It's also nicely topped off with some footage of the real players in action at various points and the real people portrayed at the end of the film.

This film (and the book it's based on) has been criticised for straying from the truth a little too much, but it doesn't matter too much in my mind. It's a neat movie that holds the interest of even a football luddite like myself, and well worth the watch.

7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment